As in-person contact becomes increasingly limited by COVID-19, it’s crucial that families have alternatives for connecting, playing, learning, making, and exploring together. Fearless R2W has put together a list of online activities for families – please message us over Facebook or email us if you have any ideas we should add (email@example.com)!
Families will need access to some of these basic free platforms in order to enjoy the rest of the online activities listed below. Here’s a list of recommended platforms:
Video Chat: These tools allow multiple ‘users’ to connect over a video chat. It also allows users to ‘share their screen’, letting parents ‘show’ their child whatever they are currently viewing on their device. This is a great tool if you are, for example, making a craft with your child and want to show them the instructions on a website, or if you are taking a ‘virtual tour’ of a museum together. Depending on the quality of your internet connection, video-chat platforms are less effective if you’re trying to watch a video together (there are other online tools for this!). All of the platforms listed here are hosted on secure and reputable websites.
- Features: Video-chat with multiple users; screen-sharing function
- Account required? Yes – users must create an account and download the free Skype Software
- Available on: Computers via browser; phones and tablets via browser or app. Works on iphones and android phones.
- Link: https://www.skype.com/en/
- Google Hangouts:
- Features: Video-chat with multiple users; screen-sharing function
- Account required? Not necessarily – you need a gmail account to create a ‘meeting’ link, but other users can ‘join’ the link without a gmail account.
- Available on: Computers via browser; phones and tablets via browser or ‘Google Hangouts’ app. Works on iphones and android phones.
- Link: https://hangouts.google.com/
Watching Videos Together: Online ‘watch together’ websites and apps allow you and your child to watch a video in sync. These are great tools for watching movies, online educational videos, or livestreams together. Most of these tools also have a built in ‘video-chat’ function, but we recommend that you turn this off and use more secure chat channels like Skype, Google Hangouts, or phone calls instead to be extra cautious. You do NOT need to use these tools to watch a video together – a low-tech alternative is to simply open a video separately on both devices and press play at the same time. That said, these tools make watching videos together a bit easier and faster once they’re set up.
- Features: Watch videos from Youtube, Netflix, Vimeo, DailyMotion, or downloaded videos saved on either users’ computer in sync.
- Requirements: TwoSeven is free, but both users need to create accounts.
- Available on: Computers via browser; phones and tablets via browser (no app). You can only watch Netflix if at least one user has an account.
- Link: https://twoseven.xyz
- Rave App:
- Features: Watch videos from Youtube, Netflix, Reddit, or downloaded videos saved on either users’ device in sync.
- Requirements: The basic version of the app is free, but you need to create an account.
- Available on: Tablets and phones via app. It’s available on both iphones and android phones. You can only watch Netflix if at least one user has an account.
- Link: https://rave.io/
- Features: Watch videos from Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo or SoundCloud in sync.
- Requirements: Users don’t need to create an account to use Watch2Gether.
- Available on: Computers via browser; phones and tablets via browser (no app).
- Link: https://www.watch2gether.com/
Online Lessons and Seminars
- Webinar Series – Revitalizing Star Knowledge (hosted by First Nations, Métis & Inuit Education Association of Ontario): Sign up at bit.ly/starsweb1
- Online Cree Lessons for children and youth: http://www.tansi.tv/
- Doodle drawing lessons with artist Mo Willems: https://www.kennedy-center.org/mowillems
- Kid’s drawing lessons from SkillShare: https://www.skillshare.com/browse/art-for-kids?clickid=SI0y7sypVxyOUnqwUx0Mo3cgUkixDT2sEzv7SI0&irgwc=1&utm_content=4650&utm_term=Online%20Tracking%20Link&utm_campaign=10078&affiliateRef=6595003&utm_medium=affiliate-referral&utm_source=IR
Reading Stories Online
- Read children’s books at Oxford Owl Online Library (must create free account; available via internet browser): https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page
- Read free books for kids and Teens at OverDrive Library (free with a Winnipeg Library Account*): https://winnipeg.overdrive.com/library/kids
Watch Movies Online
- Watch free children’s movies online at Hoopla (free with a Winnipeg Library Account*): https://www.hoopladigital.com/browse/movie/popular?children=1&page=1
*During the pandemic, you can register for a temporary Winnipeg Library card here: https://winca.ent.sirsidynix.net/client/en_US/default/search/registration/mill/HZWS/true?dt=list Contact Fearless R2W at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook if you need help setting it up!
- Museum of Natural History: https://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour/current-exhibits
- Indianapolis Children’s Museum: https://www.childrensmuseum.org/museum-at-home
- Art Galleries and Museums: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner?hl=en
- San Diego Zoo: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams
- Georgia Aquarium: https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/beluga-whale-webcam/
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
- Live aquatic wildlife presentations from the New England Aquarium: https://www.neaq.org/visit/at-home-events-and-activities/
- Live animal presentations from ‘Christine’s Critters’: https://www.facebook.com/events/2542223506066038/
- Disney World Rides: https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/disney-vacations/watch-disney-rides-on-youtube
- National Parks Tours: https://artsandculture.withgoogle.com/en-us/national-parks-service/parks
- The Great Wall of China: https://www.thechinaguide.com/destination/great-wall-of-china
- Mars: https://accessmars.withgoogle.com/#
- NASA Astronaut adventures: https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html
- Space Centre Houston Workshops: https://spacecenter.org/app/
- Collaborative Drawing with AWW App (no account required; available on computer, tablet and phone via browser): https://awwapp.com/
Arts and Crafts:
- Kid-friendly crafts with household items: https://www.care.com/c/stories/3882/13-crafts-for-kids-to-make-with-3-supplies-or/
- Paper airplanes: https://www.diynetwork.com/made-and-remade/learn-it/5-basic-paper-airplanes
Story-telling and Creative Play:
- Online Madlibs generator: https://www.glowwordbooks.com/blog/category/kids-online-mad-libs/
- Online ‘Story Generator’ for creating silly stories with your young child: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/story-starters/adventure-writing-prompts/
Two-player kid-friendly video games
- Online drawing game: https://skribbl.io/
- MarioKart Online (available via app only; must create a free account): https://mariokarttour.com/en-US
- Play card games online, like Go Fish and Crazy Eights (available via browser on computers, tablets and phones; no account required): http://playingcards.io/
- Uno (available via app only; must create free account): https://www.letsplayuno.com/
- Trouble / Sorry (available via app only; must create free account): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ludo.king&hl=en_CA
- Scrabble (available via browser on computers, tablets and phones; must create a free account): https://www.isc.ro/
- Chess (available via browser on computers; not compatible with mobile phone browsers; no account required): https://tabletopia.com/games/chess
- Browse and play hundreds of boardgames on Boardgame Arena (available via browser on computers, tablets and phones; must create free account): https://boardgamearena.com/
- Browse and play hundreds of boardgames on Tabletopia (available via browser on computers; not compatible with mobile phone browsers; no account required): https://tabletopia.com/
- Challenging Jigsaw Puzzles for ages 10 and up (35+ pieces; must create free account): https://jigsawpuzzles.io/