Check out this employment opportunity to work closely with us at Fearless R2W and our partners at Ma Mawi and MacDonald Youth Services. This position would be a staff person at Ma Mawi and would report to our steering committee made of the 3 organizations and our partners! Deadline to apply is Friday May 22 @ 4pm!
Posted: May 11, 2020
Position Title: Community Helper Initiative (In Home Support Helpers)
Classification: 2 Year Term Full Time (March 31, 2022 -possible extension dependent on funding) Overnight and/or Evenings and/or Weekends (TBD)
Location: Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre (King Location) and Macdonald Youth Services
Salary: To be Negotiated
The Community Helper Initiative is a new project whereby Community Helpers will have a foundational role in the delivery of a continuum of community response services. This is a partnership between Ma Maw iwi Chi Itata, Macdonald Youth Services and Fearless R2W. Under the supervision of the Community Helper Initiative Coordinator and in accordance with Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre’s philosophy and principles to provide culturally appropriate services aimed at stabilizing and supporting families. Community Helpers will assist and provide children and their families/caregivers with immediate in-home support services and assist with access to the services that are community, strength, and value-based responses to ensure the least disruption. While working collaboratively with the MYS Mobile Crisis Team, Partner Organization Protocols and all other components of service resources provided for families.
• Minimal of 2 years’ direct work experience in family and community care services, knowledge of early childhood development and growth, effective parenting certificates or related programming
• Experience working with Indigenous community, understanding of social factors that affect health and well-being, particularly in the North End and Inner-City families in Winnipeg
• Understanding of strength-based approach, trauma- informed care, community capacity-based models, solution focused and 24-hour caring response practices
• Grade 12 High School Diploma &/or Equivalent; is an asset
• Child and Youth Care Worker Certificate/Diploma – Relative Experience will be taken into consideration is an asset.
• Strong Understanding and experience working with the North End and Inner-City Services and Networks.
• Maintain a strong understanding and knowledge of the North End and Inner-City Family Services and their Networks.
• Current First Aid/CPR certification; Nonviolent Crisis Intervention; Suicide Intervention Certificate. (These Training will be provided, if required)
• Valid Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle would be an asset.
• All employees are subject to a Criminal Record check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Child Abuse Registry and Prior Contact checks.
• First Nations, Metis and Inuit candidates are encouraged to apply.
• Understanding of Indigenous customs, experience, traditions, and values.
Assets to Qualifications:
• Ability to work with families in crisis that experience significant challenges, understanding of mental health challenges, addiction challenges and identify community resources for support.
• Initiative to plan, organize and to manage time effectively both independently and in a team setting.
• Strong verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrating effective and timely documentation and meeting deadlines.
• Strong non-judgmental problem-solving ability, conflict resolution and decision-making skills.
• Physically capable of providing service in a wide variety of community settings under varying weather and environmental conditions.
• Perform basic household tasks such as cooking and cleaning.
• Provide emotional support to parents and children, ability to role model effective parenting skills and positive parent/child interactions.
All letters of interest and resumes must be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Friday, May 22, 2020
Jacqueline Trout, Human Resources Assistant
Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre, Inc
350-200 Alpine Way
Headingley, Manitoba R4H 0B7
Fax # 204-946-5042 or HR@mamawi.com